You have always been there for me when I needed you the most; long car rides, the fair, holidays, coffee breaks, menstrual cycles, birthdays, movies; need I say more?
Yes, it has been a long road filled with fond memories. As sweet as those memories may seem, you have disguised yourself, hid behind names most people can’t even pronounce, changed your coloring, packaging… Why? To keep me coming back for more?
Well, it works. Each day the same temptation creeps up on me. I find myself sitting, waiting, thinking, wondering how will you satisfy my craving today? Like an addict, only I am in a continuous battle with a legal drug. Even though I know you are no good for me, I remain in love. Why does my body crave you so much? Why can’t I end this relationship? How do I find a healthier you?
Not all sugar is equal. (no pun intended) In fact, food industry experts have done a superb job creating multiple unrecognizable names for sugar. In today’s world we don’t really know how much sugar we are consuming.
If you are trying to be more aware of what goes into your body than this statement should force you to learn the hidden names used for sugar on food labels. Sounds daunting? I’m with you, but fortunately I have a quick reference sheet for you along with a list of the Good Sugars. Bonus!!
Hidden names of Sugar that can be found on just about all food labels.
First group – The Syrup Group
- Buttered syrup, Carob syrup, Malt syrup, Golden syrup, Maple syrup, Refiner’s syrup, Corn syrup solids, Sorghum syrup,
Second Group – Juice Group
- Dehydrated cane juice, Cane juice solids, Cane juice crystals, Fruit juice, Fruit juice concentrate, Dehydrated fruit juice, Fruit juice crystals,
Third Group – Common Sugars
- Cane Sugar, Caramel, Date sugar, Beet sugar, Yellow sugar
Fourth Group – What that heck is that group?
- Dextrin, Maltodextrin, Diatase, Diatase malt, Turbinado
Fifth Group – The “ose” group (kind of familiar)
- Sucrose, Maltose, Dextrose, Fructose, Glucose, Galactose, Lactose, High fructose corn syrup, Glucose solids
HARMFUL side effects of Sugar
- “Added sugars” can increase the risk of;
- Certain cancers
- High blood pressure
- Sugar contains no essential nutrients, no healthy fats, no protein.
- Sugar can cause insulin resistance, which is the leading cause of Type II Diabetes.
- Sugar has fat promoting affects on the body
- Sugar creates an addictive sugar response to the brain.
- Sugar can increase bad cholesterol.
Happy Label reading!